The Federal Government has said that Twitter would be allowed to resume operations in Nigeria if the platform can be used responsibly.
The Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, last Friday announced that operations of the social media platform had been banned indefinitely in Nigeria. He accused Twitter of being bias against the Nigerian government.
The ban came few days after Twitter deleted a post by President Muhammadu on ‘civil war’, which many Nigerians considered as being offensive and reported to be deleted.
However, speaking with newsmen at a meeting with some envoys on Monday, the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, gave the condition under which the suspension would be revoked.
He said, “We are not saying that Twitter is threatening the country or any such thing. Why we have taken this measure is to stop them to be used as platforms for destabilisation and facilitation of criminality or encouragement of criminalities.”
FirstNews had earlier on Monday reported that the Federal Government summoned the envoys of the United States, United Kingdom, Canada and the European Union in Nigeria over their recent comments on the suspension of Twitter in Nigeria.