Russia’s Ministry of Defense said the country would stop its bombardment of parts of Ukraine on Saturday to ensure civilians safely flee.
“Today, March 5, from 10 a.m. Moscow time, the Russian side declares a ceasefire regime and opens humanitarian corridors for the exit of civilians from Mariupol and Volnovakha,” the ministry said in a statement.
“Humanitarian corridors and exit routes have been agreed with the Ukrainian side,” the statement added.
Recently Russia attacks seems to have shifted from from military targets to civilians, with more attacks apparently being focused on population centres.
The development followed Russian President Vladimir Putin failure to get the quick victory he had imagined going into the war as the Russian military has continued to encounter stiff and determined Ukrainian resistance across the country.
On Thursday, Ukrainian and Russian delegations hàd held the second round of talks in Belarus. According to Ukrainian negotiator, the meeting failed to deliver the results that Ukraine needed, but both sides had agreed on corridors for civilians to escape.
Meanwhile, Putin, on Friday told German Chancellor Olaf Scholz that the third round of talks with Ukraine had been fixed for this weekend.