News

Fake coup plot report won’t distract, intimidate us – FG

×

Fake coup plot report won’t distract, intimidate us – FG

Share this article

Federal Government has dismissed the report of a coup plot against President Bola Tinubu as false.

A report had said the Guards Brigade had been put on high alert due to suspicion of a coup plot over the prevailing economic hardship.

Defence Headquarters has denied the report, vowing to seek legal redress against the publishers of the report.

“It is to be noted that the Guards Brigade has always been on high alert in order to effectively execute its assigned tasks,” DHQ said.

Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris, in a statement on Tuesday, said the Federal Government would neither be distracted nor intimidated into abandoning the ongoing reforms.

The Minister’s statement read, “The report is the figment of the warped imagination of detractors, whose malicious intent is to destabilize the country and undermine the present administration.

“It is now evident that some desperate individuals have resorted to publishing fake news to erode public trust in the government and sow the seeds of discord in the country.

“The government will exercise its rights within the federal republic of Nigeria’s laws to contain rogue actions to destabilize national security and the nation’s hard-earned democracy.”

Idris warned the public to desist from spreading or amplifying the unfounded reports.